Did you know you can show specific questions to users based on the user's answers in Google Form? Yes using the conditional questioning feature in Google Form, you can show questions based on the user’s response. In this blog, we will take a look at this feature using a simple example.
So let’s get started.
If you prefer to watch a video instead of reading, we've got you covered:
Step 1: Sample Google Form
The Google Form that we will be using is a feedback form for 5 different sessions. So the plan is to display the session feedback questions based on the option selected by the user. If the user selects Session2, he will be taken to the session 2 feedback.
The Google Form contains the following details :
- Details of the User
- Section 1: Details of the user followed by the Session attended by the user
- Section 2: Feedback for Session 1 (This will only come up if the user selects session 1)
- Section 3: Feedback for Session 2 (This will only come up if the user selects session 2)
- Section 4: Feedback for Session 3(This will only come up if the user selects session 3)
- Comments on the session if any
If you want to work with the form you can click here.
Step 2: Create the Sections
Before we get into conditional questioning, we have to create 3 different sections for 3 different sessions. To do that follow these steps :
- Click on the button that says Add section.
2. On adding a new section you have to add the following details :
- Name of the Section [Compulsory]
- Description of the section [Optional]
The section has been created successfully, now you have to add questions to this section.
To add a question to the form, follow these steps :
- Click on the button that says Add question
2. Here I have added two questions in this section asking his/her feedback on the session they have attended.
After adding the required details the Second section(Session1 Feedback) will look like this.
The same thing has to be done for all three sessions.
Step 3: Add Section based Answer
Now that we have successfully created separate sections for each session it's time to use the Section based Answer feature. To use the Section based Answer feature follow these steps :
- Select the question where you want to apply the feature and click on the three dots, which in this case is going to be, Which session did you attend?
2. On clicking the three dots you will see the following options out of which you have to select Go to section based on answer.
3. On clicking the option you will get individual options for each of the options.
4. As you can see next to each option, you have to choose which section you want to move to on clicking the option.
5. To specify the section, you have to click on the dropdown next to the option.
6. Here you can see I have selected the Session 1 Feedback section. If the user selects the first option, the user will be taken to the second section in the Google Form that will contain feedback for session 1.
7. The same will be applied for the other sessions.
Here we have assigned all the sections to the appropriate sections.
Step 4: Check the Output
We successfully created the Google Form, it's time to check the output. To preview the Google Form, click on the preview button.
Here I have filled in my details followed by selecting Session 1.
On clicking Session 1, I am taken to the Session1 feedback section.
In this blog, we covered Section based questions in Google Forms. I hope you have understood how to use this feature in Google Forms.
Hope you enjoyed the blog. Feel free to reach out if you have any issues/feedback at email@example.com.